Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fair Weather Friends



What is a fair weather friend? We all have them. They're the ones who call you when they're upset or want to hang out when they're alone. They lean on you when they need you but once you want the favor returned they're busy or change the subject somehow. Worse, they may even make you feel ashamed of how you feel or what you want from them. Sometimes it feels like the only reason you put up with it is because you've already put in so much effort that stopping now just seems like a waste.  Sometimes you need to stand up for yourself and make the difficult decision of letting go of these types of people as rewarding as that relationship use to be. Memories can't sustain a relationship. The trick here is to not be resentful and welcome them back with open arms if they one day turn a new leaf.


If you really care for someone, you will care for them through the ups and the downs, through thick and thin, through the good and the bad, for better or for worse... Love and friendship need to be based on this type of mutually fulfilling bond. The connection of sharing happiness and pain is the most basic of human interaction.


Of course there are those that take much more that they give. I admit I have been one of them..not necessarily a 'fair weather friend'..but a friend who keeps asking for more and more support without giving as much back. Some of the best people I've lost was due to my own inability to empathize or sympathize with them, which I will forever carry as a weight of regret on my shoulders. Now I think to myself that it's okay to ask for support as long as I let the other person know that I will always do the same for them..and mean it. You can't control how much support you need, but you can control how much you want to give. I vow that I will do my best to help those in need, financially, mentally, and emotionally (not physically as I have weak girly arms.....har har).


Truth of the matter is, that when my time is up in this sparkly turquoise world that I want to be remembered as a good person who did her best to help people no matter how small or big the gesture. Selfishly, I want to continue to search for others who have the same values I do as well as nurture my relationships that are already like this. For those of you who have listened to me scream, whine and cry, I thank you for taking the time to be there for me to pick me up when I feel I can walk no more. I cherish you and I promise to return the favor.As immature, whiny, impatient, materialistic, vain, tempermental person that I am, I know that I have one good quality that I will seek to grow throughout my life: a good heart - one that will protect and support those I care about.


What's your best quality? How can you empower others with it?
xoxo,
Hanny

No comments: