Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Evolution of Internet from the point of view of a mid-twenty year old

Blogging is very intimidating. The last time I touched html code I was in grade 11 at high school and I remember being so proud of myself for inserting and centre aligning a picture. Even that marquee feature..does that still exist? Haha I've never felt so old and out of the loop before. *Note: Marquee is that thing that moves words from right to left* *Second note: if this still exists and is still quite common I guess I just made a fool of myself* Aiya.

Right now I don't even know how to make a post template so that all my new posts have this font and colour? I manually have to click on this light grey color and the Trebuchet font and centre align buttons. That's THREE things I have to do to post. Oh, woe is me. I'm such a noob. -_- I started this blog thinking, I'm going to be so pro. I'm going to learn every tag and widget and customizable object on this page that I can improve to reflect my style more. All the "professional bloggers" have links to their facebook, twitter, youtube and even MUSIC on their pages. In the end, I chose the template mode and moved things around with the user-friendly layout/template mode that Blogger provides. Ha! I guess I would rather be lazy than be creative. By golly wow I learned something new about myself.

I'd like everyone to think of the Internet Evolution that has occurred these past few years. It hasn't even been a decade yet and it amazes me how the Internet has changed my life.

1. Browsers: Netscape -> Internet Explorer -> Firefox/Safari
Do people still remember Netscape? Hahahha. The explorer that took forever to load up but seemed 'superior' to Internet Explorer? It had the big capital "N" as its logo. I think I started using this back in Grade 5 to look up sailormoon pictures. Remember all the 'cool' browsers? Yahoo, Lycos, Altavista, Askjeeves...errr...that's all I can remember. What happened to them all? The Internet should just be renamed to Google. No one says "Just Internet It!" afterall. I use both IE and Firefox (Yes, I am a PC, and Windows 7 was my idea). I don't see a difference so I click whatever is in my line of vision. Safari seems to be the same too. I can't tell, I don't own a mac, but I do own an iPhone. Cool points for me!

2. The chatters: ICQ, YAHOO MESSENGER, AIM, MSN,
In order, that is what I used to talk to friends. Even non-friends. Remember how ICQ had that option, 'Random chat" or something like that? Why isn't that popular anymore? I guess most people realize it isn't that fun to talk to strangers. LOL. I don't even use MSN much anymore. Who wants to chat when I can just wall post/text? Which leads me to my next point.

3. The personal websites: Xanga. Geocities. Angelfire. Asianavenue (aka "AA"), Blogger
 I actually never had any of these. Okay I lied, I made an angelfire one that I never updated. I don't even remember the address for it anymore. A lot of my friends back in Grades 8 through 10 had it though. I remembered thinking, "WOW. They are so cool and smart. How do they own a piece of the Internet?!" Yes, I was quite dumb. I guess the only one left is Blogger, but that's only because it's still relatively 'new.' Defintely more user friendly. Actually, I can't pretend I know because I don't know how easy/hard it was to use the other sites. I'm such a poser.

4. The social websites: Friendster, Myspace, Facebook, Linked In
I guess this is more of the "present" now. Minus Friendster which is not cool anymore. NOT COOL okay? I think myspace will eventually fall off the face of the planet too once people realize how trashy it has become. Myspace is like the popular snobby hot girl in highschool and facebook is like the classy and smart kid that everyone liked. In the end, you'll all grow out of Myspace! Hahahhaha. What a waste of your precious 100 hours of your life updating everything.

 We're all getting so lazy to update our OWN personal sites that the social media ones have become even more popular. Think about it, they are the ultimate blogger template lol. You don't have to really learn anything and you don't need to be creative because all the pages look the same! I think I actually like that better because you will always know where to click to stalk learn about the person you are viewing. I feel like there's so much information overload that I just want everyone to have only one website, one email, one contact number, ....no creativity! It just takes up too much space in my brain for me to learn everything about your life and it's like a drug! I don't really gain much use from learning what your favorite food and/or makeup is, but for some reason I really like to know?! WHY? Why are we all so curious about each others' lives?  Okay now this sounds like a rant which I don't mean it to be. I am such a hypocrite lol.

5. Miscellaneous: Blogs, Twitter, Youtube, Ebay, Skype
My boredom factor is starting to kick in so I better blog quick before I lose interest. Oh..no....starting....to...lose..interest...getting...painful..to..continue...typing. Okay. I failed. No more typing I'm tired now. I hate to end my post on a stupid note but I need to get my day going! Blogs, Twitter, Youtube, Ebay ...I'm sure all the 20 somethings that are reading this post know what I'm talking about. It seems like there's so much new things to see and learn that it makes me wonder how much time we should learn any one program or site because everythings becomes obsolete so quickly!  Note to self: do not post overly long blog posts that might eventually become obsolete.

...I guess I already failed that one, huh?

No comments: